Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Ranting of an Aimee

2009 is here, and I'm already behind on my blog. Isn't that life? You get caught up on one or two things, yet fall behind on other stuff. I'd like to take a moment and contemplate on past year. I've been advised that "One should always assess the previous year to see where you've grown and blossomed, but to see what you need to improve on as well ... etc..."

2008 was a big year. We were promoted to a 3 kiddie family. Bought a mini-van. Went camping with 3 kids. Survived a lay-off. Weathered through Isaac's terrible twos. Followed and participated in the Presidential Election. What does this all mean?

I don't know.

Which has sidetracked me to this point: Life is filled with "I don't know"s and "It's not fair"s.

There have been many articles implying or out-right saying:
Our generation and those following us are the self-indulgent, self-seeking, and self-interested. We don't know or understand the words sacrifice and hard-work. Everything must be fair! AND if we don't get it now, let all hell break loose. On top of this narcissistic emergence, we don't seem to know what we want.

We we we. . . me me me. . . us us us. I think the articles may be right.

I find myself caught up in this narcissistic web many times: What about my career? Why is the grass always greener on the other side? I WANT that grass (Literally and figuratively). Why must everyone else get the breaks, but I'm the only one suffering?? ME Me me!

But logic and reasoning usually set in. Reality slowly and surely comes crashing down. KaBAM!

Life isn't fair. It's that simple. Some 'bad' people get the breaks while good people suffer. The rich get richer. The poor usually stay poor. Reality can be harsh and cold. BUT. . .

deep breath in
deep breath out

There's always a but. :) Despite the unfeeling of reality sometimes, there is always a silver lining. I see kindness in the smile of a stranger. Good people do get breaks. Affluent people help those in need; who in turn help others. Goodness and love abide in the world.

Life may not be fair, but life is worth living.

What's my point in this ranting, you ask? Well, 2008 may or may not have gone the way you planned.
Perhaps you son didn't get potty trained as fast as you like. Perhaps the candidate you voted for didn't win. Perhaps, you received a speeding ticket or two. Perhaps someone ran over your foot. Perhaps your souffle collapsed! On the other hand, perhaps you've become closer to that special someone. Perhaps the tree you planted early in the year has survived for at least another year. Perhaps you finally finished that project that's been sitting in your garage for the past 3 years.
Whatever bad may have happened, if you look hard enough there's always something good to counterbalance that.

I do not welcome the challenges that collide into my life, but I am grateful for the lessons I've learned from those challenges. I am a better person because of "Life isn't fair" and "Life is hard".

As I plan for my 2009, I'm going to try to be less egocentric and more self-sacrificing. I do this in hope that my children may see their mom as a giver and not a taker. Perhaps it will rub off on them, and they'll be better people when they're older.

fini


None of my rantings are meant to offend or hurt. When I rant, I rant in general.

2 comments:

Simone Nelson said...

Lol. Your blog always makes me laugh. Your writing style is so fun to read.

Brown Family said...

Thanks, Simone. I'm glad to know I have at least one loyal reader.