Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Car Wash Incident

Before I get into the gory details, let me just say how satisfying it is to vacuum out a car. What a major stress relief it is to do detail work for a car. I love it! With that said, on with the story...

Yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the warm weather and get our Trail Blazer washed. On a side note: I was very productive yesterday. I did some yard work, cleaned up the kitchen, did some laundry--end side note. I loaded up the kids into the car and drove to our local Sonic to 'give our SUV a bath.' I decided before hand to take advantage of the free vacuums at the car wash. After the wash, I drove into the vacuum lot and started the ever delightful task of detailing and cleaning out our SUV. Remember, the boys are still with me. I let them loose in the car. Ike had a great time pretending to drive, and Ben had fun helping me. Right as I finished...

Ben yells, "I need to go Pee Pee!" He was holding himself, so I knew he couldn't hold it in much longer. I frantically closed the gate and his door, and ran to open the driver side door to get Isaac. BIG MISTAKE! Do not shut all your doors--with the keys in your purse in the front seat--when a 1 year-old has been playing near the lock button. *sigh* I locked my boys in the car!

I wasn't too worried. I have a smart-almost 4 year-old son who is capable of following directions. I calmly asked Ben to unlock the door. He tried, but somehow Isaac turned on the security alarm. Thus, the unlock button didn't work. Ben at this moment was frantic.

I told Benjamin to manually unlock a door (not in those exact words), he hadn't the patience or the concentration (he was concentrating on keeping his pants dry, bless his heart) to understand what I was trying to ask. So here I was trying to get into the car (running around the car like a chicken without its head) before my 4 year-old would pee all over my newly cleaned upholstery, and my 1 year-old son enjoying every moment of this situation. I felt idiotic, and I'm sure the other people there thought the same thing. 5 minutes went by with me trying to calmly (not succeeding) explain to Benjamin how to flip open the lock, but Ben was beyond the point of reasoning or understanding. Well, a boy can only hold in his pee for so long.

Benjamin was so dismayed when he finally couldn't hold it in any longer. I reassured him that it wasn't his fault, and he did the best he could (from outside the car of course). After his relief, I explained yet again how to manually unlock the door. In no more than 15 seconds, I was able to get into my Trail Blazer and find my keys. Ironic, isn't it? I sat down and had a good laugh. :)

So what's the lesson of this story? Is it don't ever leave your car without your keys in your pocket no matter how close your are to the car (even when you're in it at times)? or Is it always have a potty ready in the car? or Is it life just throws you some really ironic curve balls? or finally Is it there's always an upside to a downside? Whatever it is, I am truly grateful to have such wonderful boys. They bring laughter and joy into my life, and they remind me each day that there is hope left in this world.

No comments: